Ways of looking after ourselves
When we are going through a particularly difficult time, we can often neglect ourselves. If we neglect ourselves physically however, it can make it even harder to deal with the emotional pain we are experiencing. Below is a list of ‘self help’ tips you can use to help you look after yourself.
- Remember what you are feeling is OK and normal
- Stay warm
- Eat if you can. If you can’t eat, remember to drink fluids and maybe a little fruit juice to get some vitamins
- Have friends around you if you can
- Try to find ways of expressing your anger which work for you e.g. screaming, shouting, running, writing, painting
- Take some exercise: walk as much as you can
- Try not to drink alcohol or take drugs as they might intensify the feelings you are having
- Try painting or drawing your feelings. It doesn’t have to be good – no one will see it if you don’t want them to. It’s just for you.
- Write down your feelings. Don’t worry about grammar or spelling or what the writing looks like.
- Just express your feelings.
- Buy yourself something delicious to eat. Allow yourself to really enjoy it.
- Try not to spend too much time in crowded situations
- Have a big warm bath with something extravagant in the water like lavender oil or bubble bath. Make the bathroom safe, lock the door, light some candles and play soft music. If you can, allow yourself plenty of time to really enjoy this.
- Take some time just for you. Do what you want to do – read, draw, do nothing, go to the pictures, or meet a friend.
- Take care of yourself first and others later if you need to
- Recognise how special you are and try to realise that you are worth looking after.